// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

At least 40 killed, 80 wounded in Aleppo blasts

At least 40 killed, 80 wounded in Aleppo blasts

PanARMENIAN.Net - According to latest reports, four blasts ripped through a government-controlled district close to a military officers' club in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, killing at least 40 people and wounding more than 90 on Wednesday, Oct 3.

The attacks within minutes of each other struck the main Saadallah al-Jabiri Square and a fifth bomb exploded a few hundred meters away.

"Five minutes after the first explosion a second bomb exploded. A third exploded ten minutes after that," a state television reporter said. "There was a fourth car bomb which exploded before engineering units could defuse it."

According to Reuters, the TV also broadcast footage of three dead men disguised as soldiers in army fatigues who it said were shot by security forces before they could detonate explosive-packed belts they were wearing. One appeared to be holding a trigger device in his hand.

Rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad announced last week a new offensive in Aleppo, Syria's largest city and commercial hub of 2.5 million people, but neither side has appeared to make significant gains so far.

The explosions also came a week after rebels bombed military command buildings in the heart of Damascus and clashed with security forces for several hours.

That was the biggest attack in the capital since July 18 when a bomb killed several senior security officials including Assad's brother-in-law, the defense minister and a general.

 Top stories
The shooting began after 6 p.m. in a McDonald's restaurant in the mall. The latest reports suggest that police are still evacuating the building.
Gunfire and explosions rocked both the main city Istanbul and capital Ankara in a chaotic night after soldiers took up positions in both cities.
German lawmakers in June passed a resolution recognizing the World War I massacre of Armenians by Ottoman forces as genocide.
The footballer and his father Jorge Messi were found guilty of three counts of tax fraud in July 6's ruling by a court in Barcelona.
Partner news