Pope ex-butler found guilty, sentenced to year and a half in jail

Pope ex-butler found guilty, sentenced to year and a half in jail

PanARMENIAN.Net - A Vatican court on Saturday, Oct 6 found Pope Benedict's former butler guilty of stealing sensitive documents and sentenced him to a year and a half in prison.

The court delivered its verdict after a two-hour deliberation on the last day of the trial. The prosecution had asked for a three-year sentence. The defense had asked that Paolo Gabriele go free, Reuters reported.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.