October 20, 2012 - 15:07 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has confirmed that John Terry has been given a record fine but will not be stripped of the club captaincy, The Guardian reports.
Terry was suspended for four matches and fined £220,000 by the Football Association earlier this month for racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.
Terry decided this week not to appeal the decision, leaving Chelsea to decide what action of their own to take.
The Chelsea manager, Roberto Di Matteo, refused to say yesterday whether Terry would remain captain but Buck today confirmed he would and that he would not be given an additional ban by Chelsea, although the club have fined him.
"John will continue to be captain of the club," said Buck said on talkSPORT. "We have taken disciplinary action and we think it is firm disciplinary action and appropriate for the circumstances."
Buck insisted the details of the fine would remain confidential in line with club policy but said it was the heaviest fine "by far" they had ever meted out to a player.
“We have kept it mind first of all that a court of criminal law found him not guilty," he said. "Of course we also note the FA decision and we certainly respect that decision. We've kept these factors in mind, we've consulted with the owner Mr Abramovich.”