Egyptian authorities confiscate $2bn from Mubarak allies

Egyptian authorities confiscate $2bn from Mubarak allies

PanARMENIAN.Net - Egyptian authorities have confiscated more than $2 billion from former state officials close to deposed president Hosni Mubarak, RIA Novosti reported citing the Al-Ahram newspaper.

According to a report by an Egyptian supervisory authority, the money was confiscated as “illegally obtained” in unlawful deals between prominent politicians and businessmen.

Among those who had to return money and other property to the state were leading members of Mubarak’s National Democratic Party, former cabinet members and businessmen.

“Efforts are underway to restore another 50 billion [Egyptian] pounds [over $8 billion] after conviction rulings have been issued in some complaints against ex-regime members,” the Egypt State Information Service quoted Assistant Prosecutor General Adel el-Saeed as saying.

Mubarak, 84, was ousted in a two-week popular uprising in February 2011, which left more than 360 people dead and about 5,500 injured. He was sentenced in June to life imprisonment by an Egyptian court “for failure to stop the killing of protesters by the Egyptian security forces during the revolt.”

Many other former state officials have either been convicted for corruption or taken into custody pending a court verdict, including Mubarak’s sons, former parliament speaker and ex-ministers.

 Top stories
The team said they had also been barred from completing work at some sites to which they had been initially admitted.
"The terrorist organization Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," said Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
Until recently, India had largely seen itself as beyond the recruiting territory of international jihadists like al Qaeda.
The political leader of Iraq's Kurds earlier appealed for international military aid to help defeat the Islamist militants.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.