EBRD donates €190 million to Chernobyl Confinement Project

EBRD donates €190 million to Chernobyl Confinement Project

PanARMENIAN.Net - The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development will provide an additional €190 million grant to Ukraine to complete the New Safe Confinement at the Chernobyl nuclear plant, the Ukrainian government press service said on Tuesday, December 4, according to RIA Novosti.

It will be the last contribution to meet the €740 million target, €550 million of which was raised at an international donor conference in April 2011 in Kiev. The New Safe Confinement contract is funded through contributions by over 40 donor nations to the EBRD Chernobyl Shelter Fund. The project’s implementation will significantly reduce the risk of further radiological contamination and facilitate the deconstruction of the Object Shelter, often called the sarcophagus.

“Its implementation will also help deal with economic and social issues related to the deactivation of the Chernobyl NPP,” Ukrainian First Deputy Prime Minister Valeriy Khoroshkovsky said.

The 29,000-ton New Safe Confinement will enclose a territory measuring 257 meters by 164 meters using spans 110 meters high that will be slid over the existing Chernobyl sarcophagus covering Unit 4, which was destroyed by an explosion at the plant that sent a plume of radiation over large parts of Europe in 1986. The goal of the New Safe Confinement is to transform the site into a safe and environmentally stable system.

It is due for completion in 2015.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news