African National Congress bomb plot foiled

African National Congress bomb plot foiled

PanARMENIAN.Net - South African police have foiled a plot by suspected right-wing Afrikaner extremists to bomb a marquee at an African National Congress (ANC) conference attended by President Jacob Zuma and dozens of top government officials, according to Reuters.

A police statement released on Monday said four men aged between 40 and 50 were arrested on Sunday, Dec 16.

The statement gave few other details, but national police spokesman Phuti Setati said they had been planning to plant a bomb in one of the tents at the ANC conference being held in the central city of Bloemfontein.

The Federal Freedom Party (FFP), a fringe group fighting for self-determination for South Africa's white Afrikaner minority, confirmed two of those arrested were FFP members but denied any role in the suspected plot.

"We were not involved and do not associate ourselves with their actions," FFP national secretary Francois Cloete said.

More than 4,500 people, including Zuma and dozens of ministers and top business people, are attending the five-day conference in Bloemfontein under a heavy police presence.

 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news