U.S. Senators slam Bin Laden film over “torture myth”

U.S. Senators slam Bin Laden film over “torture myth”

PanARMENIAN.Net - A new film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden is "inaccurate" for suggesting torture helped lead to his discovery. That is according to three U.S. senators who outlined their objections to Zero Dark Thirty in a letter to the head of Sony Pictures Entertainment, BBC News reported.

Kathryn Bigelow's Oscar-tipped drama, their letter claims, is "perpetuating the myth that torture is effective".

In a statement, Bigelow said her film depicts "a variety of controversial practices and intelligence methods". According to the director and Zero Dark Thirty screenwriter Mark Boal, no single method was responsible in the successful manhunt for the terrorist leader.

The letter, made public on Wednesday, was co-signed by Dianne Feinstein, Carl Levin and former Presidential candidate John McCain.

The trio, all of whom are members of the Senate Intelligence committee, said that Sony and its CEO, Michael Lynton, had an obligation to alter the movie.

The senators said the "use of torture in the fight against terrorism did severe damage to America's values and standing that cannot be justified or expunged". The makers of Zero Dark Thirty, they went on, had "a social and moral obligation to get the facts right".

Earlier this year Bigelow's film was accused of being a propaganda tool intended to assist President Obama's re-election campaign. The release of the film was subsequently put back until after November's election.

It was also claimed Boal, who previously worked with Bigelow on Oscar-winning drama The Hurt Locker, had been granted access to classified information, an allegation he denied.

The film, which has been nominated for four Golden Globes, is released in the UK on 25 January.

 Top stories
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
Partner news