Mubarak calls on Egyptians to support Mursi

Mubarak calls on Egyptians to support Mursi

PanARMENIAN.Net - Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak called on his country’s citizens to support current leader Mohammed Mursi in order to end the violent protests that have plagued the country, The Times of Israel reported.

Mubarak’s lawyer, Farid el-Deeb, said that the deposed leader is “sad and frustrated” by the protests, which have left dozens dead and hundreds injured since the Islamist Mursi assumed power in June 2012.

Deeb said that while Mubarak supports the right of Egyptians to demonstrate peacefully, he denounced the violent protests that have been particularly prevalent in the capital city of Cairo and the coastal city of Port Said.

Mubarak, 84, was the president of Egypt for 30 years until he was ousted in February 2011 by popular protests. Mursi was elected in his stead, in Egypt’s first-ever democratic vote last year.

In 2012, Mubarak was convicted by an Egyptian court for his role in the deaths of some 850 protesters killed during the 18-day uprising that removed him from office. The verdict was overturned in January 2013, and a new trial is set to begin in April.

Before his reign ended, Mubarak had jailed Mursi, a leader of the once-outlawed fundamentalist group, the Muslim Brotherhood.

Nevertheless, Mubarak told Deeb that the current leader is the “elected president… people should rally around him” in order to bring an end to the violence.

 Top stories
The embassy staff were evacuated to neighboring Tunisia "due to the ongoing violence, the U.S. State Department said.
Another 10,000 fled Mosul after ISIS took control at the beginning of June and numbers dropped have fallen rapidly since.
The announcement comes just two days after President Abdullah Gül confirmed that he would not seek a second term.
In the report, the Observatory said its activists on the ground have the names of 5,641 rebels who have been killed in infighting.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.