FIFA planning tougher security for 2014 World Cup in Brazil

FIFA planning tougher security for 2014 World Cup in Brazil

PanARMENIAN.Net - Brazilian officials said they were closely following the investigation into the explosions at the Boston Marathon as they consider whether to change security measures for next year's World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, The Associated Press reports.

But a top official with FIFA, soccer's world governing body, said his organization was already planning tougher security for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil in light of the Boston attack.

FIFA Secretary-General Jerome Valcke said during a visit to Haiti on Tuesday that the measures would include secret service agents, police officers, military and Interpol.

Valcke also said a perimeter adding a second layer of security protection would be set up around Brazil's stadiums, with inspections of everyone passing through. As during the last World Cup in South Africa, a satellite will provide surveillance over Brazil, he said.

"As you can imagine with what happened in Boston, (security) will be even ... stronger," Valcke said at a news conference in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince. "We will push the limit to make sure that we have the security, from the beach, to the airport, to the stadium."

Valke, who was in the Caribbean country as part of a delegation led by FIFA President Sepp Blatter, said the soccer organization will work with police departments from all 32 countries participating in the 2014 World Cup and will draw on security measures adopted during the 2010 event in South Africa.

Alexandre Castilho, a spokesman for the government department that oversees safety during major events, stressed that no changes to security plans had been made, but didn't rule out future changes.

 Top stories
Mikaelyan is currently training for the Under-23 World Championships to be held in Almaty in February.
Each country will play six matches in the new tournament, which will see UEFA's 52 countries split into four divisions.
There are 3 categories: senior sport sambo men, women and combat sambo men and 9 classes in each, making 27 classes in all.
Messi had his first run-in over tax last year when he was accused of concealing €4.1mln earned from image rights in shell companies.
Partner news