September 4, 2013 - 16:33 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - Kim Dotcom has announced he is stepping down as director of the new file sharing service he launched called Mega, SlashGear reports.
While Dotcom was fighting U.S. authorities and trying to stave off being extradited to the United States along with other executives from his company, he has been working on launching new online services including Mega.
Dotcom said the decision was taken to free up time to work on other projects. Mega was launched on January 20, 2013, about a year after the Dotcom mansion was raided.
Dotcom will also be spending time working on the launch of a new music service he has planned. There are no details available on the music service at this time and even the name is being kept secret. The music platform was previously known as Megabox.
Dotcom has 22 developers working on his new music service at this time and reports indicate the service will launch in a few months.
Besides, Dotcom, has announced plans to launch a new political party in New Zealand. Tweeting that it was in early stages of formation, he said the new party will contest elections next year in New Zealand. His agenda - improve the country's IT infrastructure, internet access and download allowances.
Meanwhile, New Zealand Prime Minister John Key termed Dotcom's plans as a ploy to fight his extradition. He is being sought by the U.S. on charges of copyright infringement and money laundering.
Speaking to TorrentFreak, Dotcom said that a political program is already drafted and potential candidates are being met. If all goes to plan, he said, the "brand new party" will fight the November 2014 elections.
“I’m excited about the party and I’m confident that I can help make New Zealand a significant Internet economy player. Someone needs to lead New Zealand into the future. Unfortunately the current government doesn’t know what the future looks like,” he said.