Judge dismisses lawsuit against Egypt's ex-interim vice president

Judge dismisses lawsuit against Egypt's ex-interim vice president

PanARMENIAN.Net - A judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Egypt's former interim vice president for "betrayal of trust" in quitting the army-backed government in protest against its bloody crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, according to Reuters.

Cairo's Misdemeanours Court judge Wael El-Mahdi on Saturday, Oct 26 threw out the case against Mohamed ElBaradei, saying it lacked sufficient grounds. ElBaradei was out of the country.

Anti-Morsi Egyptian law professor Sayyid Al-Ateeq brought the suit against ElBaradei in August.

ElBaradei, former head of the UN nuclear agency and co-leader of the secular National Salvation Front (NSF) grouping, had been the most prominent liberal to endorse the military's overthrow of former president Morsi on July 3.

He resigned on August 14 after security forces attacked protest camps set up by Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood supporters in Cairo, killing hundreds of people.

Morsi's supporters brought several lawsuits against opposition figures during his year in power. Anti-Morsi activists had called such suits, many of them accusing people of "insulting the president", a form of political intimidation.

The military's intervention against Morsi polarized public opinion in Egypt. More than 1,000 people have died in violence across the country since July.

Related links:
 Top stories
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
Partner news