France pledges to disarm Central African Republic fighters

France pledges to disarm Central African Republic fighters

PanARMENIAN.Net - French soldiers are to start removing weapons from fighters in the Central African Republic (CAR) from Monday, December 9 by force if they have to, France says, according to BBC News.

A 1,600-strong French force has been sent into the CAR, deployed after days of communal fighting claimed 400 lives.

Rebel leader Michel Djotodia seized power in March and armed gangs, largely made up of former rebels, have taken control of the landlocked country.

French troops are now patrolling the streets of the capital, Bangui.

They were sent into the CAR on Friday after the UN Security Council backed a mandate to restore order "by all necessary measures" the previous evening.

France said on Saturday that the African Union would increase the size of its existing force of 2,500 peacekeepers to 6,000.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.