Turkish journalist released in Egypt after months in detention

Turkish journalist released in Egypt after months in detention

PanARMENIAN.Net - Turkish journalist Metin Turan, a senior reporter from Turkey's state-owned TRT news station, was released pending trial by Egyptian authorities on Monday, Dec 9 morning after being detained for more than 100 days in Egypt's capital, according to Today’s Zaman.

Turan was taken to Cairo's police headquarters from Tora Prison on Sunday and after several hours of legal processing, he was released in the morning, the Turkish Embassy announced via its social media accounts.

Reports say Turan was taken to police headquarters -- along with 83 other detainees whom a Cairo criminal court decided to release pending trial -- to complete required procedures to be processed before their release. The reports stated that Turan seemed to be in good spirits while he was being transferred from prison.

Turan's family welcomed the court's decision to release him and thanked the Turkish government for assistance.

The news of Turan's imminent release came after he had been in custody for more than 100 days.

Turan was detained in mid-August in Cairo's Al-Fateh Mosque while covering the military crackdown on supporters of deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi. He was held on charges of promoting violence, and his 45-day detention was extended three times.

Ten days after Turan's lawyer applied for his release, a judge reportedly accepted the request and decided to release Turan pending trial. Turan was initially expected to be released on Tuesday; however, there was an objection from the prosecutor. A decision was reportedly made referring the case to another court.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.