Lavrov says withdrawing Iran invitation for Syria talks ‘mistake’

Lavrov says withdrawing Iran invitation for Syria talks ‘mistake’

PanARMENIAN.Net - Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Tuesday, Jan 21, that UN chief Ban Ki-moon’s decision to cancel Iran's invitation to this week's peace talks on Syria was a mistake, RIA Novosti reported.

Iran’s invitation was withdrawn Monday after the Syrian opposition’s National Coalition threatened to boycott Wednesday’s conference if the Iranians took part.

“Of course, it is a mistake, but not a catastrophe," Lavrov told reporters during an annual press conference in Moscow.

Russia had insisted that Iran should participate in the so-called Geneva 2 peace talks due to start in Montreux, Switzerland on Wednesday.

Iran’s presence at the talks was vehemently opposed by the Syrian opposition because Iran has been a key regional ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad since the uprising against his government began almost three years ago.

Related links:
 Top stories
The team said they had also been barred from completing work at some sites to which they had been initially admitted.
"The terrorist organization Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," said Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
Until recently, India had largely seen itself as beyond the recruiting territory of international jihadists like al Qaeda.
The political leader of Iraq's Kurds earlier appealed for international military aid to help defeat the Islamist militants.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.