Italy’s Berlusconi faces new investigation

Italy’s Berlusconi faces new investigation

PanARMENIAN.Net - Milan prosecutors say they are investigating former Premier Silvio Berlusconi for allegedly attempting to derail investigations into his infamous "bunga bunga" parties, the Associated Press reports.

The Milan prosecutor's office launched the investigation Thursday, Jan 23, against Berlusconi, two of his long-time lawyers and some 40 other people, mostly aspiring showgirls who attended the parties. The investigation centers on allegations that Berlusconi paid off the women to lie to court officials.

The new investigation comes as Berlusconi has re-emerged on the political scene as the center-right's powerbroker, despite having been booted from Parliament on a tax fraud conviction.

In the "bunga bunga" case, Berlusconi is appealing a conviction of paying for sex with an underage minor and using his influence to cover it up.

Berlusconi vowed in a statement to remain on Italy's political scene.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.