Bulgarian coalition survives third no-confidence vote

Bulgarian coalition survives third no-confidence vote

PanARMENIAN.Net - Bulgaria's Socialist-led coalition survived its third no-confidence vote on Wednesday, Feb 12, a motion that underscored a persistent threat to a government hobbled by street protests and political squabbles since taking office last year, according to Reuters.

The opposition GERB party had called for the vote, accusing the government of failing to deal with an influx of thousands of Syrian refugees, and failing to stem a rise in car thefts and burglaries in the European Union's poorest country.

As was widely expected, Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski's minority coalition struck down the motion by 116 votes, out of a total of 217 lawmakers who took part. It survived two similar votes about its investment policies in October.

Oresharski's coalition looked like it may fall last year when tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Sofia in anti-corruption protests. Such protests have since dwindled and political analysts expect the government to limp on at least until the European elections in late May.

But the unrest robbed the government of clout to reform the corrupt political system or the slow and inefficient judiciary.

"GERB had no moral right to a claim a vote of no confidence because its national security policy was its biggest failure for Bulgaria's citizens," said Sergei Stanishev, the leader of the ruling Socialist party (BSP), after the vote.

GERB, which won the most votes in last year's general election but failed to find a partner to form a government, has pledged to keep pressure on Oresharski's government until it resigns.

Related links:
 Top stories
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
Partner news