Fukushima cleanup halted after worker dies in incident

Fukushima cleanup halted after worker dies in incident

PanARMENIAN.Net - A worker at Japan's wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant died on Friday, March 28, after being buried under gravel while digging a ditch, prompting the operator to suspend cleanup work for safety checks, Reuters reported.

Tokyo Electric Power Co said it was the first time a laborer had died as a direct result of an accident inside the plant since the nuclear disaster in March 2011, the world's worst since Chernobyl in 1986.

An earthquake and tsunami struck the plant, 220 km (130 miles) northeast of Tokyo, sparking triple nuclear meltdowns, forcing more than 160,000 residents to flee from nearby towns and contaminating water, food and air.

"In the three years since the disaster, we had not had any worker deaths caused by work (inside the plant). The fact that such a serious accident has occurred is deeply regrettable," said Tepco spokesman Masayuki Ono.

The utility will suspend cleanup operations for an immediate safety inspection, Kyodo newswire said.

Most workers inside the plant are contract laborers hired by multiple layers of construction companies.

Reuters said its investigation last year found widespread labor abuses, where workers said their pay was skimmed and there was little scrutiny over working conditions inside the plant.

Tepco on Friday would not name the worker's direct employer, but said he reported up to Toso Fudosan Kanri Company, a first-tier contractor under Tepco. The worker was in his 50s, the utility said.

The company confirmed it had hired the worker through another subcontractor.

Tepco has been widely criticized for its handling of the cleanup. The operator was plagued by a series of leaks of radioactive water from hastily built tanks at the site last year and it has repeatedly promised to improve working conditions.

Earlier on Friday, Tepco said work to remove fuel rods from one of the destroyed reactor buildings had been halted after a worker had mishandled a giant crane, the first major delay in an operation to remove 1,533 fuel rod assemblies.

The worker started moving a crane used to lift the fuel assemblies on Wednesday without disengaging the handbrake.

Related links:
 Top stories
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
"There is no denial that we are dealing with very significant risks," he said, during a visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos.
The Pentagon says IS has lost 20-30% of the total territory they were in control of in Iraq and Syria, including up to 40% in Iraq alone.
Partner news