CSTO suspends contacts with NATO over Ukraine

CSTO suspends contacts with NATO over Ukraine

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Russian-led Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) has suspended contacts with NATO because of the situation in Ukraine, CSTO Secretary General Nikolai Bordyuzha said Thursday, April 24, according to RIA Novosti.

"For now, we will not be making any efforts to establish contact with NATO, due to their stance on the Ukrainian crisis," Bordyuzha told a press conference hosted.

He explained that NATO is currently "blackmailing" Russia and its allies. "Today, NATO is blackmailing all of the CSTO member states ... showing that they are extremely dissatisfied with Russia's actions in recent months."

Last week, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the alliance intends to deploy additional military personnel to enhance combat readiness and perform military drills, as well as revise its defense plans in connection with the Ukrainian crisis. The Alliance also decided to strengthen air patrols in Eastern Europe and send ships to the Baltic Sea and the eastern Mediterranean.

Meanwhile, Russia's envoy to NATO, Alexander Grushko, has warned about taking "necessary measures" to prevent Russian security from being undermined by the new NATO steps.

 Top stories
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
"There is no denial that we are dealing with very significant risks," he said, during a visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Partner news