Fire in Turkish mine delays rescue efforts as death toll soars to 299

Fire in Turkish mine delays rescue efforts as death toll soars to 299

PanARMENIAN.Net - A fire broke out on Saturday, May 17 in part of a mine where nearly 300 miners were killed in Turkey's worst ever industrial disaster, hindering efforts to find up to three remaining workers believed to be still underground, the country's energy minister said, according to Reuters.

Taner Yildiz told reporters the bodies of 15 miners were retrieved overnight, bringing the death to 299, and as many as three workers were still in the mine. They were unlikely to be alive, four days after an initial fire sent deadly carbon monoxide coursing through the mine.

"It is a localized fire, but it is important and we have to take note of it," Yildiz said. "Naturally until it is brought under control we can't do anything about up to three workers (believed still there)."

As the fire started, rescue teams were seen leaving the mine in the western town of Soma while fire-fighting teams went in.

Anger has swept Turkey as the extent of the disaster became clear, with protests aimed at mine owners accused of ignoring safety for profit, and at Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's government, seen as too close to industry tycoons and insensitive in its reaction to the tragedy.

Riot police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse several thousand protesters on Friday in Soma on Friday.

Photo: Reuters/Ihlas/Yilmaz Saripinar
 Top stories
Obama's administration has drawn criticism for its long-standing policy of prohibiting concessions to militant groups.
Barak, who also previously served as Israel’s PM, said that he and Netanyahu were ready to attack Iran each year.
Prosecutors in France stopped short of declaring they were certain, saying only that there was a "very strong presumption".
“Erdogan stressed in the past that they would never allow the unification of Kurdish cantons in northern Syria,” Demirtas said.
Partner news