Two Americans injured in consulate vehicle attack in Afghanistan

Two Americans injured in consulate vehicle attack in Afghanistan

PanARMENIAN.Net - Two Americans suffered light injuries when a U.S. consulate vehicle came under attack in Afghanistan's western province of Herat on Wednesday morning, the U.S. embassy said, according to Reuters.

The embassy statement gave scant details of the attack but an Afghan official in Herat said a rocket-propelled grenade had been fired at the vehicle.

"Two men attacked a foreign vehicle with a RPG and then ran away," provincial district chief Haji Bashir Ahmad told Reuters by telephone. The U.S. embassy statement said both of the injured were taken for treatment at a Spanish-run hospital in Herat.

Hours earlier, President Barack Obama announced plans to reduce the number of American troops in Afghanistan from 32,000 to 9,800 by the beginning of next year, and gradually reduce the force to a smaller embassy presence by the end of 2016.

Last Friday, Afghan security forces in Herat killed at least three gunmen and suicide bombers following an attack on the Indian consulate in Afghanistan's third largest city and main gateway to Iran.

 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news