Gunmen attack port in Libya's Benghazi: official

Gunmen attack port in Libya's Benghazi: official

PanARMENIAN.Net - A security official in Libya said gunmen have attacked the port of the restive eastern city of Benghazi, firing wildly with small arms into the area for hours, the Associated Press reported.

The official said security forces and citizens blocked the city's surrounding roads after the Saturday, June 21 attack, which left six people wounded.

He added that the attack is believed to be a reprisal by Islamist militiamen targeted by the forces of renegade Libyan Gen. Khalifa Hifter.

Hifter forces have been shelling boats smuggling weapons to the militia, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters, according to the AP.

Benghazi, the birthplace of the 2011 revolt that led to the overthrow and killing of longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi, has plunged into unrest and violence since then.

 Top stories
Helicopter design and manufacturing company Russian Helicopters delivered as many as 212 aircraft to various customers in 2015.
The Armenian Defense Ministry is providing the CSTO leadership with full information about the clashes along the line of contact.
The White House has been increasingly outspoken in recent months about threats to free speech and democracy in Turkey.
Russian warplanes have continued to support the Syrian army and its allies as they push their offensive on the desert city.
Partner news