// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

OPCW says last of Syria’s declared chemical stockpile handed over

OPCW says last of Syria’s declared chemical stockpile handed over

PanARMENIAN.Net - The organization charged with overseeing the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons program says the last of the country's acknowledged stockpile has been handed over, the Associated Press reports.

Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) director general Ahmet Uzumcu said Monday, June 23, the final eight percent of the 1,300-ton stockpile has been loaded onto ships in the Syrian port of Latakia. Uzumcu was speaking at a press conference in The Hague.

Syria's government agreed to surrender its arsenal last fall when the U.S. threatened punitive missile strikes after a deadly chemical attack on a rebel-held suburb of Damascus.

 Top stories
Last year, the ICRC organized 27 information sessions for residents of 16 villages, most of them teachers and schoolchildren.
Footage showed a plume of smoke rising from the area in the aftermath of the blast and extensive damage to the facade of the police station.
The shooting began after 6 p.m. in a McDonald's restaurant in the mall. The latest reports suggest that police are still evacuating the building.
Gunfire and explosions rocked both the main city Istanbul and capital Ankara in a chaotic night after soldiers took up positions in both cities.
Partner news