9 killed as military helicopter shot down in Ukraine

9 killed as military helicopter shot down in Ukraine

PanARMENIAN.Net - Armed men shot down a Ukrainian helicopter carrying technicians who had been installing equipment to monitor violations of a peace plan in Ukraine's rebellious east on Tuesday, June 24, killing all nine people on board, a military spokesman said, according to Reuters.

The technicians had been returning from setting up specialised equipment when their Mi-8 cargo helicopter was struck by a missile near Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine, government forces spokesman Vladyslav Seleznyov said.

"There were 9 people on board. According to preliminary information ... all those on board were killed," Seleznyov said on his Facebook page. The nine dead included a three-man crew.

"The (rebel) fighters, having fired the rocket, hid in the nearby village of Bylbasovka," he said.

The incident took place just hours after pro-Russian armed men on Monday night announced a ceasefire until June 27 to match a week-long truce by government forces which has been ordered by President Petro Poroshenko.

It was the second time a helicopter has been brought down by rebel fire from Slaviansk. On May 30, a military helicopter was downedkilling 14 servicemen, including one general.

 Top stories
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
Partner news