21 killed as blast hits shopping center in Nigerian capital

21 killed as blast hits shopping center in Nigerian capital

PanARMENIAN.Net - An explosion Wednesday, June 25 afternoon rocked a parking lot at a crowded plaza in Nigeria's capital, killing 21 people and injuring 17 others, authorities said, according to CNN.

The blast happened about 4 pm in Abuja's "ever-busy Emab Plaza ... at the peak of business," said Ezekiel Manzo, spokesman for Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency.

About 40 vehicles were destroyed, in addition to the human toll, he said. In a news release posted online, the Nigerian national police force said the injured were being treated at five hospitals.

The area was evacuated and security personnel managed to take control of the scene, according to Manzo.

This was the first part of a wider effort to beef up security around Abuja. The national police's inspector general ordered stepped-up security and surveillance around the capital as part of efforts "to improve overall public safety."

"(Authorities) call on the members of the public to remain vigilant and to stay away from scenes of explosion(s) so as not to fall victim in a likely case of (a) secondary blast," police said.

Nigeria has seen significant violence of late -- most of it centered in northern parts of that African nation and blamed on Boko Haram, an Islamist militant group with a stated aim of imposing strict Sharia law across the country.

This includes an attack earlier this month in the Borno state village of Kummabza in which militants killed 30 males and abducted 60 females, some of them girls between the ages of 3 and 12.

 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news