// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

FIFA rejects calls to move 2018 World Cup from Russia

FIFA rejects calls to move 2018 World Cup from Russia

PanARMENIAN.Net - FIFA rejected calls to move the 2018 World Cup from Russia, saying the tournament "can achieve positive change," the Associated Press reports.

Russia's alleged involvement in shooting down a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine last week prompted calls from some lawmakers in Germany to review the country's hosting rights.

On Friday, FIFA issued a statement saying it "deplores any form of violence" and questioning the purpose of relocating the sport's showcase tournament.

"History has shown so far that boycotting sport events or a policy of isolation or confrontation are not the most effective ways to solve problems," FIFA said, adding that global attention on the World Cup "can be a powerful catalyst for constructive dialogue between people and governments."

On July 13 in Rio de Janeiro, Russian President Vladimir Putin attended a World Cup hosting handover ceremony with Brazilian counterpart Dilma Rousseff. Both then sat next to FIFA President Sepp Blatter to watch the final at the Maracana Stadium, won by Germany.

FIFA, which has Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko on its executive committee, said a World Cup in the country "can be a force for good."

"FIFA believes this will be the case for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia," the governing body said.

"The World Cup has been given and voted to Russia and we are going forward with our work," Blatter said in March.

In a separate statement Friday, Mutko said a U.S.-led boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics had been a mistake.

"So there's no sense in reacting to politicians trying to make names for themselves," Mutko was quoted saying by Russian news agency R-Sport. "We're preparing in a calm way, building facilities, getting ready for the World Cup."

Russia has announced a $20 billion budget for building and renovating 12 stadiums, and other construction projects, for the first World Cup in Eastern Europe.

"FIFA has stated many times that sport should be outside politics," Mutko said. "Hosting an event like this, we're doing it for athletes from all over the world, for footballers, for the fans."

 Top stories
The 31-year-old star once again grabbed blagging rights over rival Lionel Messi, having picked up the prestigious Ballon d'Or award last month.
The current format has been successful, popular and profitable since 1998 and is locked in for the next two World Cups in Russia and Qatar.
The first thing I did was look at the assistant and I saw it was not ruled as offside so I just started to celebrate, Mkhitaryan said
Mkhitaryan, 27, had been in great form but injured his ankle during a tackle with Danny Rose after scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win.
Partner news