Gas explosions kill 25, injure 267 in Taiwan

Gas explosions kill 25, injure 267 in Taiwan

PanARMENIAN.Net - A series of explosions caused by a gas leak killed 25 people and injured 267 in Taiwan's second city on Friday, Aug 1, sending flames shooting 15 storeys into the air, setting ablaze entire blocks and reducing small shops to rubble, Reuters reported.

Rescue authorities said police and soldiers had been drafted in to help firefighters after the midnight explosion and blaze gutted a district in the port city of Kaohsiung packed with shops and apartment buildings.

Four firefighters were among the dead. Media reports suggested the death toll was likely to rise sharply.

President Ma Ying-jeou pledged tough measures to prevent any recurrence of the incident.

The blast sent flames racing through the district and smoke billowing high into the air. Flames shot up from sewers and gutters and water from burst mains gushed through the streets. Residents said the blast shook buildings as if there had been an earthquake, toppling small shops and overturning cars.

Rescuers formed a chain to pull dozens of injured from a vast crater in the street and picked their way through piles of rubble as they ferried the injured away on stretchers. Those overcome by smoke were resuscitated in the street.

By morning, firefighters had regained control of the district and were moving in protective white gear through streets covered in upturned asphalt and smashed vehicles, according to Reuters.

Economic minister Chang Chia-juch told reporters initial assessments suggested the blast was caused by a leak of propylene, a material used in the production of plastics and fabrics.

Taiwan's two foremost petrochemical companies said their operations were unaffected by the blast.

An official from Formosa Petrochemical said the company's facilities were not located near the disaster site and its factories were functioning normally. State-owned CPC Corp. [CHIP.UL] also said it was operating normally.

 Top stories
Obama's administration has drawn criticism for its long-standing policy of prohibiting concessions to militant groups.
Barak, who also previously served as Israel’s PM, said that he and Netanyahu were ready to attack Iran each year.
AI contends that the charges were fabricated in retaliation for the couple’s human rights work and criticism of the government.
Prosecutors in France stopped short of declaring they were certain, saying only that there was a "very strong presumption".
Partner news