PM says Ukraine critically needs second IMF aid tranche

PM says Ukraine critically needs second IMF aid tranche

PanARMENIAN.Net - Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk urged the International Monetary Fund on Friday, Aug 29, to release the next tranche of a $17 billion loan and bemoaned the heavy cost of fighting a pro-Russian rebellion in the east, Reuters reported.

Ukraine has complied with conditions for the two-year aid package, which is intended to shore up depleted foreign currency reserves and support the state budget, but the country faces risks due to the eastern conflict, the IMF has said.

Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian fighters have been fighting since April in the heavily industrialized regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, which together contributed nearly 17 percent of Ukrainian gross domestic product in 2013.

"The (revenue) that we haven't been receiving from Donetsk and Luhansk is miniscule compared with the billions we are spending on war," Yatseniuk said at a government meeting.

"For us it is critically important to get a positive decision from the IMF and we've done everything (to achieve) this," he said.

The ex-Soviet republic received a first tranche of slightly more than $3 billion in May and the IMF board will meet later on Friday to decide whether to approve the next disbursement, likely to total $1.4 billion.

Analysts have said the Ukrainian economy will slide deeper into recession this year, despite the IMF aid deal, as the rebellion cripples activity in the industrial east and scares off foreign investors.

The IMF downgraded its growth forecast for this year to a 6.5 percent contraction, from 5 percent previously.

 Top stories
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
Partner news