// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

Spanish police recover 3 of 5 stolen Francis Bacon paintings

Spanish police recover 3 of 5 stolen Francis Bacon paintings

PanARMENIAN.Net - Spanish police have recovered three of five paintings by British artist Francis Bacon that were stolen from a Madrid apartment in 2015, they said Thursday, July 20, according to AFP.

"I can confirm that three paintings have been recovered," a police spokeswoman said.

She said she could not give more details because of the ongoing investigation to find the remaining two artworks.

The five paintings are estimated to be worth more than 25 million euros ($29 million).

They were stolen from the home of a friend of Bacon in central Madrid in July 2015 while he was away in London.

The thieves also made off with a safe that contained a collection of coins and jewels.

Spanish police have so far arrested 10 suspects linked to the theft.

In May 2016, with the help of a British firm that searches for stolen art, they arrested one of the suspected perpetrators, as well as five accomplices that allegedly helped hide the paintings.

A Barcelona resident had sent the firm pictures of a Bacon painting to see if it appeared on the company's list of stolen artworks.

Police analysed the photos and found clues that led them to another suspect who they believed carried out the robbery.

This suspect then led police to an art dealer and his son who are suspected of hiding the stolen paintings.

Police did not provide details on the stolen paintings but daily newspaper El Pais said they depicted the owner of the artworks, Bacon's friend.

The thieves tried to sell the paintings on two occasions, the newspaper added.

Police recovered one painting several months ago and the other two just a few days ago, according to the newspaper.

Bacon often visited Madrid, where he spent time studying old masters paintings in the Prado Museum, and died in the city in 1992, aged 82.

 Top stories
“I’m basically arranging Armenian religious music, church music from the fifth to the 20th centuries, for piano and a choir,” Hamasyan says.
According to sources, the film also stars Moogalian’s wife, Isabelle Risacher Moogalian, who was also on board that day.
HBO has handed out a straight-to-series order for "Demimonde", expanding its relationship with "Westworld" executive producer J.J. Abrams.
Bruno Mars won in seven categories of 60th Annual Grammy Awards, while Jay-Z, who was nominated for eight awards, did not win a single one.
Partner news