UN chief urges maximum restraint between Armenia and Azerbaijan

UN chief urges maximum restraint between Armenia and Azerbaijan

PanARMENIAN.Net - United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has urged Azerbaijan and Armenia to exercise maximum restraint after border clashes between the two countries.

"The Secretary-General is following with deep concern the current tensions between Azerbaijan and Armenia. He calls for maximum restraint, as a full conflict between these two countries would be disastrous," UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Monday, July 21.

The situation on the border between the two countries escalated on July 12, with Azerbaijan launching three unsuccessful infiltration attempts in the next four days. The Azerbaijani military also used large caliber grenade launchers and combat drones to target civilian homes in several border settlements in Armenia. Four servicemen of the Armenian army were killed, while Azerbaijan reported 12 deaths.

The relative calm on the border between Armenia and Azerbaijan was maintained overnight, Defense Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan said on Tuesday․

 Top stories
The profane and racist graffiti attack on San Francisco’s KZV Armenian School was discovered on July 20-21.
179 people have so far recovered from the disease in Karabakh, while 112 others are quarantined.
154 people have so far recovered from the disease in Karabakh, while 126 others are quarantined.
Armenians arranged a fruit rescue mission that its organisers have dubbed “Operation Apricot”.
Partner news