PanARMENIAN.Net - “It was Donaire who refused a clash planned for 2010. He stalled for time, during contract negotiations which lasted for almost 6 weeks. I will ask my manager to discuss the situation with Donaire’s manager,” Darchinyan said in a conversation with a PanARMENIAN.Net reporter.
Earlier, WBC and WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire reacted to Vic Darchinyan’s calls for a rematch. According to Darchinyan, Donaire has been refusing him rematch for 4 years.
"Last year, August 21 was the scheduled date for us. Three months before that he pulled out, saying I signed the contract too long, but it was three more months before the fight. And the first fight we had, I signed the day of the weigh-ins. He just didn't want to face me. They said that he didn't want to fight me right now,” Donaire said.
“He called me out after his fight against Perez and you know what? He's actually growing a little more balls to call me out and really mean it. But I'm not here to talk. I'm here to fight. I'm not here to call out anybody. Well, I'll call out anybody when I have to, like when I did with Montiel, because I really wanted that fight. But I'm here to fight anybody. So, whoever they have in front of me, I'm more willing to exchange with them leather you know?" he said.
#1 Contender Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Culiacan, Mexico and US Olympian, undefeated #1 ranked Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan, Glendale, Ca. spared during media day at the Wildcard Boxing Club.
Chavez Jr.is preparing for his upcoming WBC World Middleweight title fight against unbeaten WBC Middleweight Champion Sebastian Zbik of Germany and Martirosyan takes on Mexican knockout artist Saul Roman in a world title elimination bout due June 4.
Head coach of the boxers, Fredie Roach said after the sparring session he wanted to drive home a message. And that is that Chavez Jr “is in top condition and ready to fight for the world title.” “The same goes for Vanes. This is the best he’s looked in a long time,” he added.
IBF Inter-Continental champion Karo Murat (Germany), coached by well-known Ulli Wegner, arrived in Armenia after a two-year break.
In his last fight on May 7, Murat knocked out Otis Griffin (the U.S.) in the 11th round. “I dedicated my victory to the 19th anniversary of Shushi liberation. My next fight is scheduled for August 2011, but I do not know who my rival will and where the bout will take place. After it, I want to fight for the world champion’s title late in 2011 or early in 2012,” Murat told journalists on May 23.
Murat held 25 fights and celebrated 24 victories, including 14 wins by KO. On September 18, 2010 Murat faced Nathan Cleverly in a WBO light heavyweight title eliminator, losing for the first time in his career by a ninth round TKO.
Koko (Grigor) Murat, a brother of Karo Murat, is also a boxer. He held 13 fights and celebrated 10 victories. “Currently, I do not train, since I have an elbow injury. Hopefully, I will be able to return to the ring soon,” said Koko Murat.
The boxers will stay in Armenia until May 24.
Wrestling:Armenia’s Musa Murtazaliyev (74kg) and Hajimurad Nurmagomedov (84kg) won bronze at an international wrestling tournament held in Makhachkala, Russia.
Chief Coach of Armenia’s freestyle wrestling team Araik Baghdadyan said he is displeased with the results shown by Ashot Terteryan, David Safaryan and Ruslan Basiyev. “On May 27-June 9, Armenian wrestlers will conduct joint trainings in Vladikavkaz, from where we will leave for Georgia to participate in Golden Grand Prix,” Baghdadyan told a PanARMENIAN.Net reporter.
Football: Tickets for EURO 2012 Russia vs. Armenia qualifier due in St. Petersburg are already available in Armenia, as well as Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Ticket prices vary from 800 to 2300 rubles, passport required. In Yerevan and Moscow, tickets can be purchased at Visa Concord company sale points; in St. Petersburg, tickets are available in Armenian church-adjacent stores.