Over 80 killed in quake-triggered landslide, Afghan authorities say

Over 80 killed in quake-triggered landslide, Afghan authorities say

PanARMENIAN.Net - More than 80 people are believed to have been killed in a landslide triggered by two quakes in northern Afghanistan on June 11, officials say, according to BBC News.

Part of a mountain collapsed, burying an entire village, according to the governor of Baghlan province.

Officials say bulldozers are there to recover the dead. Reports suggest only two bodies have been found so far.

The UN says it is working with the authorities in the area to determine what aid is needed.

Baghlan governor Munshi Majeed said he fears there is little chance of finding survivors from the 23 houses that were buried. He said only one house remained standing.

"This is a human tragedy. An entire village was lost," he said. "Two bulldozers are now there to recover the dead bodies but the amount of stones and debris that has hit the village makes the chances of survivors very slim. "We have seen body parts in some of the areas. Villagers worked throughout yesterday and last night. No human noise or sound has been heard."

Provincial disaster management officials told the BBC on Monday that all of Baghlan province had been struck by the quake, but five districts in particular were especially badly hit.

But on Tuesday, the scale of the damage became clear.

The first quake had a magnitude of 5.4 and a second of about the same strength hit the same area minutes later. The tremors could be felt in the capital, Kabul, 170km (105 miles) away. In 2002, a quake in the same province killed more than 2,000 people.

 Top stories
The earthquake caused a temporary blackout, damaged many buildings and closed a number of rural roads.
The Prosecutor’s Office has released surveillance footage and said that one of the detainees in the case, Iveri Melashvili.
Destinations welcomed 900m fewer international tourists in January–October when compared with the same period of 2019.
Austrian authorities said at least one gunman remained on the run at 1am Vienna time on November 3.
Partner news
---