January 25, 2013 - 09:02 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - After reports of more than a thousand workers going on strike at a Beijing factory surfaced earlier this week, Foxconn has denied that the alleged incident took place and dismissed them as “without foundation and completely inaccurate”, The Next Web reported.
Foxconn did confirm that it had hosted a town hall meeting with many of its employees to discuss “matters relating to salary and bonuses”, but it said there was no disruption to its operations.
Still, it’s not clear what led a Foxconn manager to reportedly tell Radio Free Asia that a strike had occurred. One worker claimed on the Sina Weibo microblog that the company had called in police during the discussions.
“We can confirm that a recent online report alleging a workplace disruption at our facility in Beijing is without foundation and completely inaccurate. The management team at that campus, together with representatives of the Human Resources department and the Foxconn Labor Union, hosted a town hall meeting on January 22 attended by many of our employees. That meeting, which lasted two hours, was arranged to address employees’ questions on matters relating to salary and bonuses, among other topics. Contrary to the online report, there was no disruption in our operations in that facility,” Foxconn said in a statement.