January 8, 2016 - 16:35 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - A number of human rights organizations have issued a statement expressing severe concern over the case of Bahraini activist, Fadhil Radhi, who was detained in Armenia following his escape from Bahrain after being sentenced to seven years in prison on political and arbitrary reasons.
Armenian authorities detained Fadhel Radhi, a 25-year-old Bahrani, upon his arrival at Yerevan’s Zvartnots airport on January 1, 2016, Civilnet reports citing Bahrain al Younm.
Fadhel Radhi was reportedly sentenced to seven years in prison following his active role in the mass protests that erupted in the country in 2011.
Bahraini authorities issued a red warning to the International Criminal Police Organization (ICPC) demanding that Fadhel Radhi be extradited back to Bahrain over accusations of attempted murder, illegal circulation of explosives, damage to public and private property, mass disorder and terrorism.
A statement issued by the Finnish Helsinki Citizen Organization expressed “deep concern” over Armenia’s determination to hand Radhi over, fearing he will be exposed to “torture and ill-treatment” in the event of his extradition to Bahrain.
A number of human rights groups have appealed to the Armenian authorities to validate that the charges against Fadhel Radhi in Bahrain are in line with international human rights laws before handing him over.
“The Bahraini authorities have repeatedly pursued human rights, civil, and political activists internationally, using international agreements to assist it in this regard. We sincerely hope you do not to comply with the requests by Bahrain to extradite Radhi, without making sure there is a clear criminal case against him that came about through an impartial and independent judiciary that possesses capabilities to administer fair trials,” the organizations urged.
1. Bahrain Forum for Human Rights
2. Khiam Rehabilitation Center for Victim of Torture
3. International Council for Fair Trial and Human Rights
4. Arabic Committee for Human Rights
5. The European-Bahraini Organisation for Human Rights
6. Justice Human Rights Organization
7. The International Center for Supporting Rights and Freedoms
8. SALAM for Democracy and Human Rights
9. Human Rights and Democracy Media Center
10. Oman Center for Human Rights Studies
11. Aman Network for Rehabilitation and Defense of Human Rights