Syria ceasefire not binding for Turkey, Prime Minister says

Syria ceasefire not binding for Turkey, Prime Minister says

PanARMENIAN.Net - Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Thursday, February 25 that Turkey would not be bound by the Syrian ceasefire plan if its security was threatened, and would take "necessary measures" against the Syrian Kurdish YPG and Islamic State if needed, Reuters reports.

The ceasefire process, put in train by Russia and the United States, could be complicated by NATO member Turkey's deep distrust of the Washington-backed Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, which has made territorial gains in northern Syria near the Turkish border. Turkey regards the YPG as a terrorist group and fears it will further inflame unrest among its own Kurdish population.

"The ceasefire is not binding for us when there is a situation that threatens Turkey's security; we will take necessary measures against both the YPG and Daesh when we feel the need to," Davutoglu said in comments broadcast live on CNN Turk television. "Daesh" is an Arabic acronym for Islamic State.

"Ankara is the only place that decides actions regarding Turkey's security," he said. However, he also stressed the ceasefire should not pave the way for new attacks, Reuters says.

Syria's opposition has indicated it is ready for a two-week truce, saying it is a chance to test the seriousness of the Syrian government's commitment to a cessation of hostilities.

The YPG told Reuters on Wednesday it would abide by the plan to halt the fighting, but reserved the right to respond if attacked. Turkey has shelled YPG positions in Syria in recent weeks, saying it was retaliating to cross-border fire.

 Top stories
The earthquake caused a temporary blackout, damaged many buildings and closed a number of rural roads.
The Prosecutor’s Office has released surveillance footage and said that one of the detainees in the case, Iveri Melashvili.
Destinations welcomed 900m fewer international tourists in January–October when compared with the same period of 2019.
Austrian authorities said at least one gunman remained on the run at 1am Vienna time on November 3.
Partner news