Russia ready for 48-hour Aleppo “humanitarian pauses” every week

Russia ready for 48-hour Aleppo “humanitarian pauses” every week

PanARMENIAN.Net - Russia said on Thursday, August 19 it was ready to halt fire for 48-hour periods in Aleppo from next week, following UN calls to extend humanitarian pauses to deliver aid, AFP reports.

"Russia's defense ministry is ready to support the proposal by UN envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura regarding the introduction of weekly 48-hour 'humanitarian pauses' (in Aleppo)," defense ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said in a statement.

"We are ready to implement the first 48-hour 'humanitarian pause' to deliver humanitarian aid to Aleppo residents as a “pilot project” already next week in order to ensure safe cargo deliveries to the city's civilians."

"Specific dates and times will be determined after information regarding the readiness of humanitarian convoys is received from the UN, as well as confirmation of safety guarantees from American partners," he said.

Russia last week declared it would hold three-hour pause in artillery fire and airstrikes daily around the ravaged Syrian city but the UN decried this as insufficient to help the approximately 1.5 million people in Aleppo.

De Mistura had insisted on a 48-hour halt, saying the logistics along mined and destroyed roads made access impossible in just three hours and endangered aid workers.

The special envoy welcomed Russia's support for his plan and called for urgent action, Reuters says.

"Our plan is to collectively work out the operational details, and be ready for delivery as soon as possible," he said in a statement.

He added that the UN was counting on Russia to help ensure "the adherence of the Syrian armed forces to the pause, once it comes into effect".

 Top stories
The earthquake caused a temporary blackout, damaged many buildings and closed a number of rural roads.
The Prosecutor’s Office has released surveillance footage and said that one of the detainees in the case, Iveri Melashvili.
Destinations welcomed 900m fewer international tourists in January–October when compared with the same period of 2019.
Austrian authorities said at least one gunman remained on the run at 1am Vienna time on November 3.
Partner news
---