Hauts-de-Seine urges France to provide diplomatic assistance to Karabakh

Hauts-de-Seine urges France to provide diplomatic assistance to Karabakh

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Council of France's Hauts-de-Seine Department has issued a statement calling on the French President and the government to reconsider their strategy and to render diplomatic assistance to Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) in the face of the continuing aggression by Azerbaijan, the Karabakh Foreign Ministry said Monday, October 19.

The statement was adopted unanimously at the meeting of the Council of the Department of Hauts-de-Seine on October 16, based on the proposal of Council member Josiane Fischer.

The statement reminded that Azerbaijan threatened with “possible strike at the Metsamor Nuclear Power Plant causing a disaster to Armenia” on July 16, and started a large-scale war on September 27 with the support of Turkey, which transferred mercenaries from Syria to Azerbaijan.

"So far, France has sought peaceful solutions based on the principle of neutrality," the statement went on to say.

"Given this neutrality cannot be maintained towards Azerbaijan, which has started a war targeting the Armenian civilian population in Nagorno-Karabakh; Taking into account that Turkey's belligerent stance in support of Azerbaijan, and the transfer of Syrian mercenaries are unacceptable and pose a greater risk of regional destabilization;

"Mindful that many residents, particularly in Stepanakert, have been forced to flee their homes due to the hostilities, and there is a humanitarian need to end the fighting immediately;

"Given that the Russian-brokered ceasefire reached by the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan on October 10 was not respected;

"The Council members of the Hauts-de-Seine Department call on the President of the French Republic and the Government to reconsider their strategy and to express the following position: France demands an immediate cessation of hostilities and respect for the ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh. Any further aggression by Azerbaijan could prompt France to examine the circumstances and provide diplomatic assistance to the Nagorno-Karabakh authorities."

Azerbaijan, with help from Turkey and Syrian and Libyan mercenaries deployed by Ankara, started a war against Karabakh (Artsakh) in the morning of September 27. The Armenian side has reported deaths and injuries both among the civilian population and the military. Foreign and local journalists too have been injured in Azeri shelling of towns and villages.

Donations can be made to Hayastan All-Armenian Fund, which has launched a fundraising campaign to support humanitarian efforts in Karabakh.

 Top stories
The Armenian Foreign Ministry said it is constantly in touch with the Jerusalem Patriarchate.
Baku took control of the city during large-scale military hostilities unleashed by Azerbaijan against the Armenians of Artsakh
Karabakh President Arayik Harutyunyan thanked the Lazarev club and Russian lawmaker Konstantin Zatulin for the initiative.
Secretary Antony J. Blinken underscored the importance of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
Partner news