Yerevan confirms Moscow's mediation to achieve ceasefire

Yerevan confirms Moscow's mediation to achieve ceasefire

PanARMENIAN.Net - Yerevan confirmed on Wednesday, July 28 that both Armenia and Azerbaijan have agreed to Russia's initiative to cease fire, Araratnews.am reports citing a Foreign Ministry representative.

The representative said the shooting was supposed to end at 10:00 am local time, adding that the situation is relatively stable on the border.

The Armenian Defense Ministry revealed, meanwhile, that the ceasefire was achieved due to the efforts of the Russian peacekeeping contingent stationed in the region. According to the Armenian side, the line of contact has not changed as a result of Azerbaijan's provocation.

In the wee hours of July 28, the units of the Azerbaijani armed forces, which had infiltrated the sovereign territory of Armenia since May 12, attacked the Armenian positions located in the north-eastern section of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border, triggering local battles. Three Armenian troops were killed, two others were wounded in the process, the Defense Ministry said, adding that the Azerbaijani forces have been thwarted back to their positions.

 Top stories
Karapetyan said Armenia was expecting Zas in May, when the situation in the region got quite tense, but no such trip happened back then.
Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on July 15 that the Armenian side has so far managed to have 104 prisoners of war.
EU Foreign Ministers and top foreign policy officials will arrive in Armenia on June 25, as part of a larger trip to the region.
Ter-Petrosyan urged the public to vote for the ANC in the upcoming snap parliamentary elections on June 20.
Partner news