UK announces £500,000 fund to support UNDP's Karabakh efforts

UK announces £500,000 fund to support UNDP's Karabakh efforts

PanARMENIAN.Net - The UK has provided half a million pounds to help clear landmines in and around Nagorno-Karabakh, to make the area safe, prevent injuries and save lives following last year’s conflict, the British government said in a statement on Wednesday, September 1.

The funds given to the United Nations Development Programme will help with training and personnel to support mine clearance and make contaminated land safe for human use in and around Nagorno-Karabakh.

The UK first announced humanitarian support following the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, with £1 million donated to the International Committee of the Red Cross to support those affected.

"The territories in and around Nagorno-Karabakh are amongst some of the most heavily mined in the world, with frequent reports of civilians losing their lives or suffering life-changing injuries," Minister for the European Neighborhood and the Americas, Wendy Morton, said.

"The UK’s donation will be used to harness the UN’s expertise and reduce the risk to civilian life in both Armenia and Azerbaijan through the provision of training and technical demining support to those helping make the area safer. But there’s more work to be done. That’s why we’re calling on our international partners to also support the collective effort needed if we are to ensure the safety of all people in the region.

"The funding will be used by the UN to deliver support with local and national de-mining organisations in Armenia and Azerbaijan including through technical, strategic and management support."

 Top stories
The two met on Wednesday, December 1 on the sidelines of NATO foreign ministers' meeting in Latvia's capital Riga.
Nikol Pashinyan, Vladimir Putin and Ilham Aliyev will hold trilateral talks in Sochi on November 26, the Kremlin reveals.
Assistant House Speaker Katherine Clark has slammed Azerbaijan for its latest "unprovoked attack" on Armenia.
The Kremlin has said the consent and readiness of all parties is necessary for an Armenia-Russia-Azerbaijan summit to happen.
Partner news
---