Karabakh denies army disbandment rumors

Karabakh denies army disbandment rumors

PanARMENIAN.Net - Nagorno-Karabakh has denied reports that President Arayik Harutyunyan is going to disband the Defense Army. Presidential spokesperson Lusine Avanesyan refuted the reports in a conversation with Artsakhpress on Thursday, October 21.

"The Artsakh Defense Army has been and remains one of the main guarantors of the security of the Artsakh Republic," Avanesyan said.

"Right now, our soldiers are standing in their positions, facing the enemy. The disbanding of the Defense Army is not on the agenda of the Artsakh government. All discussions related to the Defense Army are related to reorganization, rearmament, modernization and other issues.

According to the spokesperson, Karabakh has a lot to do to build its future, and the army "has a key role to play" in the process.

Secretary of the Security Council of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) Vitaly Balasanyan said earlier that the country is now working on the formation of professional military units on a contract basis.

 Top stories
Nikol Pashinyan, Vladimir Putin and Ilham Aliyev will hold trilateral talks in Sochi on November 26, the Kremlin reveals.
Assistant House Speaker Katherine Clark has slammed Azerbaijan for its latest "unprovoked attack" on Armenia.
The Kremlin has said the consent and readiness of all parties is necessary for an Armenia-Russia-Azerbaijan summit to happen.
For countries not on the exemption list, the advice to avoid non-necessary travel still applies until at least September 1st, 2021.
Partner news
---