DESTRUCTION OF ARMENIAN MONUMENTS CONTINUES IN AZERBAIJAN

PanARMENIAN.Net - The national Council of Nakhichevani Armenians has made a statement expressing concern over the persisting cases of destruction of headstone crosses (khachkars) at the cemetery of Jugha settlement of Nakhichevan region of Azerbaijan. The statement in particular says that at the turn of November acolytes of St. Stepanos Armenian cloister in Iran and Iranian frontier guards noticed destroyed khachkars at Jugha graveyard and carriages in the territory of the memorial, as well as some works being carried out around these cars. Moreover, the statement says that November 25 the architects of "Country and Culture" French organization discovered that the church at the Jugha settlement graveyard had been ruined. "These facts prove that Azerbaijan continues the action of annihilation of Armenian monuments in Nakhichevan begun in 1998," - the document says. Thereupon, the Council of Nakhichevani Armenians has suggested forming an international commission under the aegis of UNESCO to study at the scene the cases of destruction of Armenian monuments in the territory of Azerbaijan, which is trying to turn the territory of the Armenian memorial into a neutral historical and cultural zone.
 Top stories
The Armenian Foreign Ministry condemned Azerbaijan's actions which it said undermines regional peace and security.
The first session of the Armenian parliament will be held on August 2, Secretary of the Central Electoral Commission Armen Smbatyan said.
Authorities are planning to appoint lawmaker Lilit Makunts as the country's new envoy in the United States.
Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on July 15 that the Armenian side has so far managed to have 104 prisoners of war.
Partner news