August 27, 2012 - 16:00 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - Google has said that it does not want the ruling in the Apple-Samsung patent lawsuit to "limit" consumers' access to Android devices, according to BBC News.
A U.S. jury ordered Samsung to pay Apple over $1bn last week after ruling it had infringed several of the iPhone maker's software and design innovations. Samsung said it intended to appeal.
There has been speculation that the news could encourage handset makers to install the rival Windows Phone system.
Google released its statement late on Sunday, Aug 26 in the U.S. "The court of appeals will review both infringement and the validity of the patent claims," it said. "Most of these don't relate to the core Android operating system, and several are being re-examined by the U.S. Patent Office. The mobile industry is moving fast and all players - including newcomers - are building upon ideas that have been around for decades. We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don't want anything to limit that."
Apple has indicated it will seek sales bans on the 17 phones at the heart of the lawsuit at a hearing on September 20.
The list does not include Samsung's current flagship handset, the Galaxy S3, but does include earlier versions of the model.
According to recent data from analysts at IDC, Android had a 68.1% of the global smartphone market between April and June. Apple's iOS had 16.9% and Windows Phone/Windows Mobile had 5.4%. The data was based on shipments rather than sales.