Death toll in Iraq attacks reaches 30

Death toll in Iraq attacks reaches 30

PanARMENIAN.Net - At least 30 people have been killed in a series of attacks around Iraq, with dozens more injured, BBC News said

Twin bomb attacks in Baghdad's mainly Shia neighbourhood of Sadr City on Saturday, October 28 evening killed at least 13.

Hours earlier, a bomb near a playground in the Bawiya neighbourhood of the capital killed several people, including at least three children.

Authorities had put security measures in place to try to prevent attacks over the four-day holiday of Eid al-Adha.

Another bomb exploded near Baghdad on a bus carrying Shia pilgrims, some of whom are reported to be Iranian.

In the northern city of Mosul, gunmen burst into the homes of families belonging to the Shabak minority group, leaving several dead.

The Shabak are a minority in northern Iraq who have previously been the target of sectarian violence.

Several people were also injured when a bomb exploded in a Shia neighbourhood in the town of Tuz Khurmatu, north of Baghdad.

Violence in Iraq is down since the height of the insurgency in 2006 and 2007, but is still common. In recent months the rate of attacks has increased, mostly targeting security services and Shia Muslims.

In August, more than 90 people were killed in a wave of attacks before Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news