Yerevan, Baku 'given chance' to solve Karabakh conflict: PACE

Yerevan, Baku 'given chance' to solve Karabakh conflict: PACE

PanARMENIAN.Net - Outgoing President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) expressed hope for conflicting parties "to end mutual accusations and start a constructive dialogue" for the Nagorno Karabakh issue settlement.

As Jean-Claude Mignon stated during the last news conference at the post, he always attempted to contribute to the settlement of the conflict by organizing meetings with the leaders of the two countries’ delegations. “I realize that the settlement of the conflict is a hard task. So far, OSCE Minsk Group has done a major job in promoting solution of the issue. I often meet the OSCE MG French co-chair Jacques Faure in Paris and am informed of the ongoing activities which the Group will soon announce about, along with presenting its offers.”

He further expressed concern over the escalated violence at the frontline, expressing hope for the sides to reach an agreement.

“In 2014, Armenia and Azerbaijan got a chance to settle the issue. The countries must use this historical moment to take concrete steps towards the settlement of the conflict,” Vesti.az quoted Mignon as saying.

As a result of the continuous firing from the Azerbaijani side, a 16-year-old girl was wounded in her leg Thursday, Jan 23 night in Aygepar village of Armenia’s Tavush province.

Intensive fire was registered in the direction of Armenian border villages of Nerkin Karmraghbyur, Aygepar, Chinari and Movses, RA Defense Ministry spokesman Artsrun Hovhannisyan confirmed to PanARMENIAN.Net

The injured girl underwent a surgery in the hospital of Berd town and later discharged, according to Ankakh.com.

“The Azeris fired upon houses, roofs. Now the firing has stopped,” one of Aygepar residents told Razm.info.

According to Nerkin Karmraghbyur’s page on Facebook, the firing ceased at about 5 am Friday. No one was injured; roofs of some houses were damaged.

Earlier, village administration head Manvel Kamendatyan said that the electricity was turned off to avoid ignition.

Meanwhile, Azeri media outlets spread reports alleging that a woman was wounded by Armenians. However, no official comments followed.

Related links:
 Top stories
To mark the massacres’ centennial, Armenian Genocide memorials were unveiled in Las Vegas and at Fresno State in 2015.
Azerbaijani troops fired over 1500 shots from various caliber weapons, including 60- and 82-mm mortars, and TR-107 rocket launchers.
After voters learned more about Katcho, his lead among candidates for the Congressional District widened even more to 29%.
The Justice Minister has rejected an extradition request received from the Bahraini authorities “through non-diplomatic channels.”
Partner news