"Schindler's List" star Liam Neeson to topline Martin Scorsese's "Silence"

PanARMENIAN.Net - Liam Neeson returns to his dramatic roots after making a name as an action star in gritty "Taken". The "Schindler's List" actor is tapped to star in Martin Scorsese's "Silence" which is adapted from Shusaku Endo's 1966 novel of historical fiction, AceShowbiz said.

The story set in 17th century will revolve around a Jesuit who travels to Japan with a fellow priest to investigate an alleged religious persecution. Scorsese writes the script with Jay Cocks. Production is expected to begin in Taiwan later this year.

Andrew Garfield has been cast as one of the priests named Father Rodrigues, and Adam Driver is allegedly tapped as the other priest. Neeson, meanwhile, will play Rodriques' mentor who has gone missing in Japan. Ken Watanabe will join the cast as well.

The project has been in development for more than 20 years. In August 2012, Scorsese was sued by Cecchi Gori Pictures for allegedly breaching an agreement to direct "Silence" as his next movie by choosing to make "The Wolf of Wall Street" first. The dispute was finally settled in Los Angeles Superior Court on January 17.

Neeson will next be seen in action thriller "Non-Stop", western comedy "A Million Ways to Die in the West", and crime drama "A Walk Among the Tombstones". He will also voice the Raccoon in "The Nut Job" and the Bad Cop in "The Lego Movie".

Related links:
 Top stories
On their engagement, family legend has it, he offered to buy back the love letters he wrote to Mercedes so he could destroy them.
Neil Cross said viewers would be eager to find out what happened to the character next, who was last seen in July 2013.
The school offers an "Armenian education for everybody", transmitting inclusive and human rights values through the Armenian culture.
Paul Dergarabedian noted the box office total was down about 7 percent compared with the same weekend last year.
Partner news