Artsakh army keeps situation at contact line under control

Artsakh army keeps situation at contact line under control

PanARMENIAN.Net - Tensions were high at the line of contact between the Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijani armed forces over the past week, as a result of penetration attempts by the Azeri servicemen on the night of Jan 20.

Besides firing at the NKR positions, Azerbaijan also drew up armored vehicles and scrambled jets near the contact line.

In all, 1700 ceasefire violations were registered, with 10 000 shots fired from the Azeri side.

However, despite subversive operations undertaken by the rival, the NKR army keeps the situation under control, rebuffing any attack.

The conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan

The conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan broke out as result of the ethnic cleansing launched by the Azeri authorities in the final years of the Soviet Union. The Karabakh War was fought from 1991 (when the Nagorno Karabakh Republic was proclaimed) to 1994 (when a ceasefire was sealed by Armenia, NKR and Azerbaijan). Most of Nagorno Karabakh and a security zone consisting of 7 regions are now under control of NKR defense army. Armenia and Azerbaijan are holding peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group up till now.

 Top stories
President Serzh Sargsyan said earlier that the Armenian side lost some 800 hectares (around 8 square kilometers) in the course of 4-day.
The parties discussed the situation in the Karabakh conflict zone following the early April's 4-day war and the ways to overcome the consequences.
At the meeting, the parties addressed opportunities to overcome consequences of the 4-day violence in Karabakh in early April.
“There can be no success in negotiations if violence continues, and there can be no peace without a negotiation process,” the statement said.
Partner news