February 10, 2014 - 18:43 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - The U.S. is currently more actively involved in the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, than in past years, the U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan, Richard Morningstar said, according to Trend News.
The ambassador made the remarks speaking at a meeting with students of the Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy.
"We strive to resolve the Nagorno Karabakh conflict, to work more closely with the government. A positive meeting was held between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia in November last year, and the continuation of these meetings is important," he said.
Vienna hosted the first meeting in 2 years between Armenian and Azeri Presidents Serzh Sargsyan and Ilam Aliyev November 19, 2013.
The diplomat stressed that the parties are discussing more specific issues in order to solve the conflict.
"We will do everything possible to resolve this conflict," he said.
Meanwhile, a member of the Canadian House of Commons Jim Karygiannis issued a statement urging the Azeri government to respect ceasefire.
"I want to express my concerns regarding the frequent ceasefire violations along the border of Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan. These incidents have resulted in the tragic loss of life. Recently, an Armenian soldier, Armen Hovhannisyan, was shot and killed by Azeri troops.
At present, the envoys of the Minsk Group of countries are visiting the region and these violations serve only to complicate their work. As we are on the eve of a meeting of the foreign affairs ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in Paris, it is essential that both sides exercise restraint and control of their militaries to ensure a productive atmosphere for this meeting and for the important work of the Minsk Group.
Canada has always been, and will continue to be, a supporter of peace talks between the parties. The OSCE Minsk Group should be the only venue for the resolution of this conflict. I am asking that we work to ensure that no future aggressive actions, such as the recent one by the Azeri military along the border, take place so that negotiations toward peace can continue constructively," the MP said.
In late January, a Nagorno Karabakh army soldier, Karen Galstyan, aged 20, sustained a deadly injury in a sniper attack at the northern direction of the line of contact with the Azerbaijani armed forces.
Simultaneous attempts of penetration by the Azerbaijani subversive groups were recorded on Jan 19-20 in the north-eastern (Jraberd) and south-eastern (Korgan) directions of the line of contact. The front units of the armed forces of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic noticed the actions of the Azerbaijani subversive groups and started an organized defense in both directions. The rival was thrown back suffering palpable human and material losses. Junior Sergeant Armen Hovhannisyan died from the wounds he received during the exchange of fire in the north-eastern direction.
Also, as a result of the continuous firing from the Azerbaijani side, a 16-year-old girl was wounded in her leg on Thursday, Jan 23 night in Aygepar village of Armenia’s Tavush province. Intensive fire was registered in the direction of Armenian border villages of Nerkin Karmraghbyur, Aygepar, Chinari and Movses, RA Defense Ministry spokesman Artsrun Hovhannisyan told PanARMENIAN.Net
The injured girl underwent a surgery in the hospital of Berd town and later discharged, according to Ankakh.com.
“The Azeris fired upon houses, roofs. Now the firing has stopped,” one of Aygepar residents told Razm.info.
According to Nerkin Karmraghbyur’s page on Facebook, the firing ceased at about 5 am Friday. No one was injured; roofs of some houses were damaged.
Earlier, village administration head Manvel Kamendatyan said that the electricity was turned off to avoid ignition.
Meanwhile, Azeri media outlets spread reports alleging that a woman was wounded by Armenians. However, no official comments followed.