250 ceasefire violations by Azeri armed forces reported Feb 16-22

250 ceasefire violations by Azeri armed forces reported Feb 16-22

PanARMENIAN.Net - 250 ceasefire violations by the Azeri armed forces were reported at the line of contact between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan from February 16-22.

Azerbaijan fired over 1500 shots from various caliber weapons towards Karabakh positions. The NKR defense army continued with their military duty in line with ceasefire principles, taking necessary measures to protect the frontline.

Armenian Defense Ministry accused Azerbaijan of violating ceasefire at contact line in defiance of the Olympic truce earlier this month.

“Ignoring numerous calls of the international community and the OSCE Minsk Group Co-chairs to respect ceasefire at the line of contact and in defiance of the Olympic truce, Azeri forces continue shelling Armenian positions and settlements, which leads us to the conclusion that their actions are either not controlled by the commandment or are a provocation aiming to destabilize situation at the frontline,” the statement said.

“Armenian units continued with their military duty in line with ceasefire principles, taking necessary measures to protect the frontline," the statement said.

The conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan

The conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan broke out as result of the ethnic cleansing launched by the Azeri authorities in the final years of the Soviet Union. The Karabakh War was fought from 1991 (when the Nagorno Karabakh Republic was proclaimed) to 1994 (when a ceasefire was sealed by Armenia, NKR and Azerbaijan). Most of Nagorno Karabakh and a security zone consisting of 7 regions are now under control of NKR defense army. Armenia and Azerbaijan are holding peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group up till now.

 Top stories
Similar to his predecessors, Mills fell short of properly characterizing murder of 1.5 million Armenians in Ottoman Turley as Genocide.
“Shaikh Zayed gave us land to build our churches and Shaikh Khalifa has continued to help us,” Father Mesrob, the church priest, said.
No losses on Armenian side were reported, with return fire on Armenian side leaving several dead on Azeri side.
Former police chief Ali Fuat Yılmazer said he cannot be held responsible for the killing of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink.
Partner news