U.S. top commander says Obama ended Afghan uncertainty

U.S. top commander says Obama ended Afghan uncertainty

PanARMENIAN.Net - The top U.S. and coalition commander in Afghanistan said that President Barack Obama's decision to keep about 10,000 American troops in the country past 2014 has eliminated any uncertainty Afghans may have had about America's commitment, according to the Associated Press.

Gen. Joseph Dunford told reporters Wednesday, May 28, the decision will allow an advisory force of 9,800 troops to remain in the country to finish training and equipping Afghan security forces.

Obama announced plans Tuesday for keeping nearly 10,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan after this year, then quickly withdrawing nearly all of those forces by the end of 2016.

The commitment is conditional on Afghanistan's government signing a stalled bilateral security agreement. While Afghan President Hamid Karzai has refused to sign it, both candidates running to replace him have said they will.

 Top stories
Obama's administration has drawn criticism for its long-standing policy of prohibiting concessions to militant groups.
Barak, who also previously served as Israel’s PM, said that he and Netanyahu were ready to attack Iran each year.
AI contends that the charges were fabricated in retaliation for the couple’s human rights work and criticism of the government.
Prosecutors in France stopped short of declaring they were certain, saying only that there was a "very strong presumption".
Partner news