Egyptian court confirms death sentences for over 180

Egyptian court confirms death sentences for over 180

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Muslim Brotherhood's spiritual leader and over 180 others were sentenced to death Saturday, June 21, by an Egyptian court in the latest mass trial following last year's overthrow of the country's Islamist president, the Associated Press reported.

The ruling by the southern Minya Criminal Court is the largest confirmed mass death sentence to be handed down in Egypt in recent memory and comes from Judge Said Youssef, who earlier presided over the mass trial. It is the second death sentence for the Brotherhood's Supreme Guide Mohammed Badie since the crackdown against his group began.

The court acquitted more than 400 others in the case and family members of the accused wailed or cheered the verdicts.

The case stems from an attack on a police station in the town of el-Adwa near the southern city of Minya on Aug. 14 which killed one police officer and one civilian. Similar revenge attacks swept across Egypt following a security force crackdown on Cairo sit-ins supporting toppled President Mohammed Morsi that killed hundreds. The charges in the case ranged from murder, joining a terrorist organization, sabotage, possession of weapons and terrorizing civilians.

Initially, Youssef sentenced some 683 people to death over the attack, then sent the case to Egypt's Grand Mufti, the country's top spiritual leader. The Mufti offered his opinion, then sent the case back to Youssef to confirm his sentence.

Lawyers for the accused said they planned to appeal. Of the initial 683, all but 110 were tried in absentia, a defense lawyer said, meaning they will receive new trials once apprehended as guaranteed by Egyptian law.

 Top stories
"It will be broken and defeated, just as all your previous campaigns were broken and defeated," Abu Muhammad al-Adnani said.
The team said they had also been barred from completing work at some sites to which they had been initially admitted.
"The terrorist organization Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," said Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
Until recently, India had largely seen itself as beyond the recruiting territory of international jihadists like al Qaeda.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.