20  10.07.14 - Protest of Nairit plant employees in font of RA government

Nairit chemical plant employees stage rally, promised solution

Nairit chemical plant employees stage rally, promised solution

PanARMENIAN.Net - Nairit chemical plant employees staged a protest rally outside the Armenian government building, Armenian media reported.

The protesters were demanding to be played their wages for 18 months, also expressing concern over the plant’s future.

Before the start of the regular Cabinet meeting Prime Minister Hovik Abrahamyan came down to meet the protesters. He reportedly told them that the issue was “at the stage of examination”. The head of the government reportedly asked the Nairit workers to set up a group of 20 whom he would receive after the Cabinet session to discuss the matter in detail.

As, the demonstrators stated later, quoting the official, the fate of the plant will be resolved by September 15, with the issue to be discussed with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and the July 11 meeting in Sochi.

In February, Russian ambassador Ivan Volynkin stated that Rosneft is seriously considering construction of a rubber plant in Armenia.

"The issue being a complicated one, Rosneft is trying to find a mutually beneficial solution. Rosneft, jointly with Pirelli, is mulling construction of a rubber plant for eco-friendly tire production," Volinkin said.

On December 25, 2013, Rosneft, Pirelli Tire Russia and Rosneft-Armenia signed a memorandum of understanding in Yerevan to set up a joint venture for butadiene-styrene rubber production.

"Nairit specialists engaged in similar work at the old plant, will be in demand at the new production," the diplomat said.

As Armenian Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan said earlier, Rosneft is planning to invest $400 million in construction of a new plant in Armenia.

Nairit was the only plant in the Soviet Union producing chloroprene rubber. The plant was closed in 1989 for environmental reasons and partially resumed operations in 1992. In 2006, 90% of Nairit’s shares were sold to British Rainoville Property Limited for $40 million. The remaining 10% belong to the Armenian government. The plant's operations were suspended in 2010.

 Top stories
Around 240 ceasefire violations by Azeri armed forces were reported at the line of contact with Nagorno Karabakh on Aug 17-22.
Karen Demirchyan Sports and Concert Complex was transferred to the Ministry of Defense under the property against debt program.
The Ministry of Agriculture was instructed to halt the import of wild animals, with sanitary and quarantine control to be boosted at the border.
Mirzakhani is the first woman to win the prize, widely regarded as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics," since it was established in 1936.
Partner news